Thursday, July 11, 2013

Colorado Marathon

Race: Colorado Marathon
Date: 5 May 2013
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Distance: 26.2
Time: 3:58:18
Female: 157/591
30-34F Age Group: 26/98
Marathon # 14
Garmin Link: Colorado Marathon
 
What a great race!  If you are looking for a challenging, beautiful course, I would recommend the Colorado Marathon.  The race starts at about 6200' in elevation 26.2 miles outside of Fort Collins and drops to 5000' at the finish.  I originally signed up for this race thinking a downhill course was perfect for a PR, but quickly realized it was more difficult than running a flat course.  Needless to say, I did not PR.
 
The start was cold and dark.  The buses dropped us off at the start area about a hour before the start.  I huddled under a blanket in the 34 F temps until the sun came up.  When the race finally started, I was happy to start moving, I really don't like the cold.  The first 17 miles were all down hill on a two lane road with large camber.  I had trouble controlling my speed at the start, I was trying to balance speed with saving my quads from the downhill.  After the first two miles, I gave up trying to pace and went with what felt natural.  By mile 10, my quads were hurting and all I could think was I have seven more miles before the course flattens out.  At least the scenery distracted me from the pain in my quads and I was able to enjoy running in a beautiful place. 

By mile 17, I was feeling okay and was optimistic about a strong finish, but at mile 19 my body decided it was time for a pit stop.....and again at mile 24......  Until now, I was on record pace.  From this point on, I struggled and my pace slowed.  I can't blame the pit stops for not running my fastest time, I started to feel very tired about mile 23.  I could tell I needed a few more miles under my belt to finish strong.  I spent the previous months recovering from the flu, ruptured ear drum and flare up of Ulcerative Colitis.  I reached mile 26 and saw Mark at the finish.  He ran the half marathon and was there to cheer me across the line.  Overall, I am happy with my run and would love to repeat this race.  Partly because of the course and partly because Fort Collins is a great town.  Mark and I had the chance to tour several local breweries, drive through the Rocky Mountains and visit Denver.
 
 
  








 
 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment